The Way to Go to Confession
- I pray to the Holy Spirit
- I think of my sins
- I make up my mind to try not to sin again
- I pray the Act of Contrition
In the Confessional
- Father greets me. I make the sing of the cross and say: “Bless me Father, for I have sinned. This is my first Confession.” I confess my sins and explain them if necessary.
- When I am finished telling my sins I say: “I am sorry for all my sins.”
- Father gives me a few words of advice and help.
- Father gives me a penance. It may be to say some prayers or to do something kind.
- I say my Act of Contrition when Father asks me to.
- Father says the Prayer of Absolution in which he, using the power given to him by Jesus, takes away my sins. As Father blesses me, I make the sign of the cross.
- Father dismisses me by saying, “Go in peace” or “God bless you” and I say, “Thank you Father.”
After I Leave the Confessional
I go back to my pew and kneel in church and say the penance father asked me to say. If he asked me to do something for my penance, then I thank God in church and ask His help to do better. I will do the penance Father gave me as soon as I can.
Act of Contrition
My God, I am sorry for my sins with all my heart. In choosing to do wrong and failing to do good, I have sinned against you whom I should love above all things.
I firmly intend, with your help, to do penance, to sin no more, and to avoid whatever leads me to sin.